"Love is always patient and kind; it is never jealous; love is never boastful or conceited; it is never rude or selfish;.. Love does not come to an end." 1 Corinthians 13:4-5, 8
“Today, there are those who say that marriage is out of fashion... They say that it is not worth making a life-long commitment, making a definitive decision, ‘for ever’, because we do not know what tomorrow will bring. I ask you, instead, to be revolutionaries, I ask you to swim against the tide; yes, I am asking you to rebel against this culture that sees everything as temporary and that ultimately believes you are incapable of responsibility, that believes you are incapable of true love” Pope Francis, World Youth Day 2013, Brazil
Marriage is not a private affair, but it is always a celebration of the whole Church. We are pleased to assist couples who wish to celebrate marriage in the church. We normally ask for about one year notice before booking a wedding to allow for preparation. It is required that one of the couple be a registered parishioner of the parish or that one be living within the parish boundaries. For other reasons you will need to speak with one of the priests.
Steps in Preparing for Marriage in the Church:
- Contact the parish to arrange an initial appointment with one of those parish priests. No date can be booked before this appointment.
- First appointment: Chance for us to get to know you, fill out Form 1 information and overview the preparation period. If there are no complications, a date can be set at this time. Saturday weddings are usually scheduled at 1pm or 3pm. According to Diocesan policy, no Sunday weddings are allowed. Weddings on other days are possible based on availability of the church.
- Required Documents: For Catholics, a newly issued baptism certificate is required. For baptized Christians, a copy of your baptism certificate is fine. A marriage license will need to be obtained and delivered to the parish office at least one week before the wedding. It is obtained at city hall and cannot be obtained more than 3 months before the wedding.
- Prepare and Enrich: This is a tool used with engaged couples to encourage discussion in all the areas that should be discussed before marriage. A parish representative will arrange this with you.
- Marriage Preparation Course: We have a team of married couples who facilitate this course. It begins on Friday night at 7pm and ends on Saturday around 7pm. This course is normally for couples getting married in our church.
- Marriage Liturgy Workshop: On one Sunday in March following the 12noon Mass, we have a session with all couples getting married in our church during that year. How we celebrate marriage in the church is reviewed and resources for selecting readings and planning your liturgy are provided. Our music director will also be there to discuss arranging music for your wedding.
- Rehearsal: Will be arranged on an agreed upon time before the wedding.
- Your Wedding Celebration.
Marriage Anniversary Blessing: On the last Sunday of each month, we invite all couples celebrating a wedding anniversary during that month to come forward after any of our weekend Masses for a special blessing.
For more information, you can reach us on our Contact Us page.